Cannabis is known to have 80 or more cannabinoids and CBG (Cannabigerol) is becoming a popular one. THC and CBD are the cannabinoids most of us know about and the ones that get most of the attention. CBG is considered a non-psychoactive, minor cannabinoid due to low levels (usually less than 1%) in most cannabis strains, but is known as the mother because CBGA is the precursor to THCA, CBDA, and CBCA.
CBGA is known as the mother because all cannabinoids begin as CBG. It is needed for us to even experience THC and CBD. CBGA produces THC and CBD during the cycle of flower growth. As CBGA produces THC and CBD, it loses its influence and is only seen in very low amounts in most cannabis strains.
CBG New, But Not So New
In 1964, CBG was discovered and is said to be best in industrial hemp; high CBD/ low THC cannabis strains. As stated in the introduction, all cannabinoids start as CBGA so, CBG isn’t new. But in many ways, like research and focus, CBG is really new. There haven’t been clinical studies conducted to discuss CBG, like we discuss CBD and THC. But there’s some information explaining CBG reported uses and benefits.
Some argue that CBG is CBD and vice versa because, without CBGA there wouldn’t be CBD. But, when comparing in terms of full CBD product and full CBG product, like oil tinctures, there could be differences in how each treats the body. When consuming a full spectrum product, there’s a high possibility that CBG is being consumed. The potency may not be high because of CBG’s conversion to CBD and THC, but it’s in there.
Here’s some CBG research/information:
- CBG will actually interfere with the CB1 receptor and counteract the psychoactive effects of THC.
- CBG shows positive results being a neuroprotective chemical and may be considered for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Can reduce neuroinflammation, oxidative stress, and it has high potential as treatment for multiple sclerosis and other neuroinflammatory conditions.
- Can be effective for patients with inflammatory bowel disease and could potentially be an agent for immune diseases.
Because CBG is still in a discovery like phase, a lot of information on benefits are not yet known. For now, here’s what we know about the benefits of CBG:
- CBG interacts with a few key receptors that modulate important body and brain responses.
- CBG is a stress-buster, blocking the 5HT1A receptor. 5HT1A is linked to stress. CBG helps block the receptor thereby allowing one to experience less stress.
- CBG inhibits the reuptake of anandamide; one of our own endocannabinoids, known as the bliss hormone. CBG allows the effect of anandamide to last longer.
- CBG binds to alpha -2, copying the parasympathetic system, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing stress anxiety.
CBG Research and Studies
There is a body of CBG research that has been conducted and/or is underway:
- CBG study experimenting CBG impact on inflammatory bowel disease.
- CBG research looking at how CBG alleviates neuroinflammation in a chronic model of multiple sclerosis.
- Studies that show evidence that CBG is a highly potent α2-adrenoceptor agonist.
Leafly reports the following CBG studies/research:
- In a study that looked at the effects of five different cannabinoids on bladder contractions, CBG tested best at inhibiting muscle contractions.
- European research shows evidence that CBG is an effective antibacterial agent.
- In a very recent 2017 study, researchers showed that a form of CBG purified to remove delta-9 THC was a very effective appetite stimulant in rats.
- A study showed that CBG may inhibit the progression and growth of colorectal cancer cells.
About Korasana CBG Products
Korasana’s CBG products are made from hemp plants grown organically, in Colorado and Oregon. The products are extracted through Zero Point Extraction, Korasana’s extraction facility in Oregon.
“We utilize the latest extraction technology to produce a whole plant extract that is clean, pure and contains a full range of beneficial cannabinoids and terpenes.”
Full Spectrum CBG Nano Spray
The full spectrum (all the plants cannabinoids were extracted and used) nanotized (infused into distilled water) CBG spray is organic and contains 25 MM in a 30 ML bottle. 5-6 sprays of the CBG spray is one dosage. Dosages can be taken orally and/or applied to the area of pain. It is designed to give the body’s endocannabinoid system what it needs to be able to produce fast results for pain relief.
Full Spectrum CBG Oil Tincture
The full spectrum oil tincture is available in 900 mg and 1200 mg, and flavored with vanilla. It is organic, has the terpenes from the hemp plant, and a contain a variety of naturally occurring phytocannabinoids, including CBD and CBC. Korasana chose to infuse with MCT oil because it allows faster delivery to the endocannabinoid system.
CBG is showing promising results and more are coming. As Scientist’s continue to study and research the mother of all cannabinoids, expect a body of information like we have for CBD. Cannabis as a whole is complete healing but, the power of CBG is strong. For without it, we wouldn’t have the pleasure of knowing CBD.
Leave a comment